Dog Days: Hound Dog Hunt
Hounds come in many flavors – some have amazing noses, others are endurance runners, and some are great at fitting into tight spaces. But one thing’s for sure, the hunt’s not over til the hound says it is!
These dogs have one thing on the brain and sniff out whatever it was looking for. Take a hint from a hound when you’re playing this month’s Hunt, and don’t stop searching until you’ve got that merger in sight. You can also let out a long howl once you find it (this hound sound is called “baying”), we don’t mind! Though your parents, your spouse, or your neighbors might…
Some interesting hounds:
- A classic breed in the hound category is the Basset Hound. These scent hounds have loose wrinkly skin, giving them the appearance of being a sweet old soul even as a puppy. They’re top dog in the Smell-o-vision contest, with a nose that is only second to the Bloodhound – another droopy-faced scent hound!
- Next let’s veer off course with a bit of a contrarian hound – the Basenji! This African dog is a bit off-beat in many ways. Like all hounds it’s a hunter, but unlike many other noisy hounds, this little friend is known as the “barkless dog.” Instead of barking Basenjis make something of a yodeling sound if they choose to take up any conversation at all. They also groom themselves like cats and emote in a way that seems uncannily human. Not a very dog-like dog at all!
- Lastly a fan favorite and very iconic little hound – the Dachshund! These popular little sausages on legs also come in a variety of types. They can be miniature or standard sized, and come in one of three coat types – smooth, long-haired, or wire-haired. They were bred to hunt badgers and other small burrowing animals, hence their burrow shaped bodies!
Hopefully you’ve had some fun learning about many types of hounds! Perhaps you should model your Eyewire hunting style off one of the many breeds of sighthound, such as the Greyhound, Borzoi, or Saluki, who all use sight and speed to catch their prey.
Saturday, August 22 @ Midnight ET – Thursday August 27 @ Noon ET
Each merger found – 1,000 points
7,500 additional points if all 12 are found
200 point bonus available on each merger to the player whose guess is closest
250 point bonus available to any player who guesses within 10 voxels of a merger
Highest scorer based on accuracy/mergers = 1 face mask or notebook
2nd and 3rd highest accuracy = 1 sticker or magnet each
How to identify and report mergers
- Select Hunt cell from Change Cell menu. Stay in the overview.
- Type /debug into chat. This will reveal a special box with information about the cell (located above the “Start Playing” box).
- Use ALT+click to select the origin point of the merger you have identified. It is a good idea to zoom in close on the merger before you select it to get the most accurate coordinates.
- Find the coordinates of the merger’s origin in the cell information box. These are next to the word “center.”
- In the chat pm thehunt bot your coordinates. For example: /pm thehunt 5123 4321 5678.
- thehunt bot will let you know if you got it right or wrong and tell you how many guesses you have left.
- To check how many mergers you have found and to check what guesses you have submitted, type “/pm thehunt !list”; the bot will give you a list of all the coordinates you have guessed, and whether or not there was a merger at each set of coordinates. A + means there was a merger there, a — means there was not a merger there.
- If you accidentally submit the same coordinate a second time, it does not count as two guesses.
Do not reveal your coordinates to other players. Do not do anything against the spirit of the Hunt. Anyone caught cheating will be automatically disqualified from the event and will not receive any points.
Proximity to merger start point is determined by number of voxels (1 voxel = approx. 1/250th of a cube’s width). Mergers are only counted as found if guessed within a distance of 250 voxels. Pieces of dust floating in space don’t count as mergers, so please don’t report them! We also do not count fused mergers that could not be removed during the Hunt prep process.