How to Hunt in Eyewire
The Hunt is one of Eyewire’s oldest competition events, but as it currently takes place only three times a year, it may take you a few months after registering to have an opportunity for your very first Hunt! If you’re wondering how it works, here are our general rules & guidelines for how to hunt in Eyewire.
Every four months (generally February, June, and October), a Hunt cell will be live for you to select from the “Change Cell” menu. This cell has had 12 mergers deliberately added to it; your goal is to identify and report as many of them as you can during the time window allotted for Hunting.
How to identify and report mergers
- Select Hunt cell from Change Cell menu. Stay in the overview.
- Type /debug into chat. This will reveal a special box with information about the cell (located above the “Start Playing” box).
- Use ALT+click to select the origin point of the merger you have identified. It is a good idea to zoom in close on the merger before you select it to get the most accurate coordinates.
- Find the coordinates of the merger’s origin in the cell information box. These are next to the word “center.”
- In the chat pm thehunt bot your coordinates. For example: /pm thehunt 5123 4321 5678.
- thehunt bot will let you know if you got it right or wrong and tell you how many guesses you have left.
- To check how many mergers you have found and to check what guesses you have submitted, type “/pm thehunt !list”; the bot will give you a list of all the coordinates you have guessed, and whether or not there was a merger at each set of coordinates. A + means there was a merger there, a — means there was not a merger there.
- If you accidentally submit the same coordinate a second time, it does not count as two guesses.
Do not reveal your coordinates to other players. Do not do anything against the spirit of the Hunt. Anyone caught cheating will be automatically disqualified from the event and will not receive any points.
Proximity to merger start point is determined by number of voxels (1 voxel = approx. 1/250th of a cube’s width). Mergers are only counted as found if guessed within a distance of 250 voxels.
- 1000 points for each merger found
- An additional 7500 points for anyone who locates all 12 mergers
- 200 point bonus available on each merger to the player whose guess is closest
- 250 point bonus available to any player who guesses within 10 voxels of a merger
It is unlikely, but in the event you find a merger HQ did not plant on the cell, please let us know. If we verify it, then we will award you 1000 points. If it is a merger on top of an intentionally added merger, then that will not count.
Pieces of dust floating in space don’t count as mergers, so please don’t report them! We also do not count fused mergers that could not be removed during the Hunt prep process.
Those are the Hunt basics! But as usual, the admins will be happy to help you get the hang of it if you ask in chat or send an e-mail to support at eyewire dot org.